Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ona MOVE for the MOVE 9!

“...it is time to put what I have learned into practice; freedom will only be won by the sweat on our brows”
—Safiya Bukhari



Seven years ago, as a junior in college in Virginia, I met this Elder named Leroy who was the janitor at the school library. After about five minutes of conversation, he asked of my origins. I replied, “home of the moonshine, Franklin, Virginia”. After turning the question back on him, he responded―”I am from Philly, home of a Black mayor throwing a bomb on some Black folks house.”

That was my first piece of information about MOVE.


Five Years
ago, I moved to Philly and I was surprised to see the light being dimmed on the MOVE 9’s case. It was one of the biggest cases of injustice in Philadelphia, and people had seem to forget that not only one, but nine of their own political prisoners were doing a 30-100 year bid in prison.

I remember watching the gritty, Black and White, documentary, “MOVE: Confrontation in Philadelphia” and feeling the outrage of the community after the August 8, 1978 incident. People were in the streets talking and fighting back against Rizzo and his gestapo police. They understood the injustice towards the MOVE 9! Fast forward thirty years later and while engaging in dialogue with people around the MOVE 9 case, I hear time and time again, ―”they are still incarcerated?”, “Hold up, you mean to tell me there are people in prison right now who are apart of MOVE?”

This type of brain drain is very devastating to an important case such as this one that needs support in the form of people power in demanding the MOVE 9’s freedom!


Everyday, I am making more of a personal commitment to the MOVE 9, while working towards enlightening my community about this case and putting out the information to ensure that our brothers and sisters of the MOVE 9 will make it back to us as well.


Even if you do not agree with the principles of the MOVE organization, or support their stance, we can agree that our political prisoners must come home! We must take the initiative to enlighten one another about the MOVE 9 and strategize on how we can bring Chuck, Mike, Janet, Janine, Debbie, Delbert, Phil, and Eddie home (and justice for Sis Merle as well). Along the way, hopefully we can enlighten others to find it in their conscience to make a MOVE for the MOVE 9! 34 years is too long!!!!

Ona MOVE,

Iresha

No comments: